Solved: Connecting to the Internet When WiFi Switch Is Not Working on iPhone
If you’re connecting to the Internet via WiFi on your iPhone, the WiFi switch sometimes might not be working. Either the button is greyed out or you can’t activate / deactivate the toggle. Another WiFi issue appears when your iPhone can’t connect to any WiFi network, or the WiFi hotspot doesn’t work.
Whatever the case, the effects can easily be seen:
- If you didn’t get to connect, you will be offline;
- If you’re streaming music or video, it will freeze or switch to a much lower quality;
- If you’re browsing, pages will load slower or not at all.
You can make sure you will have Internet connectivity at all times on your iPhone. See below how to fix the WiFi switch not working on iPhone issue.
WiFi Switch Is Greyed Out – How to Fix
If the WiFi button in the settings area of your iPhone is greyed out, you should be able to solve the issue without changing your phone. Here are some suggestions:
- Perform a forced restart on your iPhone.
- Reset network settings on your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.
- If possible, reboot your router / modem. Check out your manufacturer’s instructions on doing that. Or just unplug it from the power source for 10 seconds and the plug it back on.
- Change to Google’s DNS. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 126.96.36.199 or alternatively 188.8.131.52.
- See if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).
- Test your iPhone with another WiFi network – using a public WiFi network, for example.
- Backup and restore the Phone using iTunes.
- Still getting the greyed out WiFi button? Go to an Apple Store and let them check your device.
WiFi Button Working but iPhone Disconnects when Switching between WiFi Networks?
We’ve all been through this. The second you get to the edge of the WiFi hotspot or if your iPhone connects to a bad WiFi network, your Internet will be messed up. Even though you see a functional WiFi signal strength, that doesn’t mean it will also work.
By default, smartphones do not check for the quality of the connection when connecting to WiFi. They will connect to the strongest WiFi network they see. Apple has rolled out the Wi-Fi Assist functionality, which is supposed to do exactly that: automatically switch to cellular. However, many iPhone users report that it doesn’t always work as intended. And this can mean, along with the annoyance:
- your streaming will stop or stutter;
- you could drop out of an important business call;
- you can lose decisive time when day trading or gaming online.
EdgeWise Connect: The App to Fix WiFi Switch when It’s Not Working on the iPhone
The solution to the slow or non-functional WiFi problem isn’t manually activating and deactivating cellular data. What you are really looking for is something that can intelligently handle your connections and switch on mobile data on iPhone automatically.
Your smartphone is able to use different kinds of Internet connections: WiFi or cellular. Sometimes it is better to use WiFi; sometimes it is better to use cellular. The trick is seamless switching between the two, so you won’t get any interruptions. And, also, use as much WiFi as possible to keep the connection decent without eating up on your cellular data plan.
That is exactly what the EdgeWise Connect app does. It is a streamlined VPN that swoops in whenever necessary to seamlessly switch you between WiFi and cellular. This prevents slow or non-working hotspots from interrupting your online activities. If your WiFi reception is poor, EdgeWise Connect will use just the right amount of mobile data so you won’t feel any hiccups.
Still wondering how to switch on mobile data on iPhone automatically? You need EdgeWise Connect. Download it here!
Giving Back to Endangered Owl Conservation
Did you know EdgeWise Connect doesn’t just rescue your Internet connections? It also rescues owls from the edge of extinction by donating 3% of revenue and $0.01 for every in-app social share to organizations dedicated to owl preservation. Join us in our effort!